Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Indian Space painters: David Finley Jr Gallery

http://www.davidfindlayjr.com/artist-page--howard-daum.html


I have always had an affinity with the paintings of these northwest artists, there is something structurally resonant in it for me , something I actually picked up in Kandinsky much earlier reading 'Point and Line to Plane": the 'touch' of the shape /form in relationship to another gives off a powerful emotive vibration. I can also point out the Sistine Chapel- the space between God's finger and Adam's:That minute space contains all the potential of life.
In this artwork the shallow (flat) space is(for me) about relationships, how one thing moves about without overlapping, and the succinct shapes are concrete presences of being.


 
Howard Daum
Red, White, Black
c. 1960
oil on canvas
30 x 40 inches
 

No comments:

Post a Comment